How to Get Solar: The Purchase Process
Do you want to get solar? Horizon Solar, LLC provides one of the most thorough and precise solar site evaluations in the industry. A trained professional will visit your property and conduct the following:
- Assessment of power needs based on previous PSEG bills and anticipated increases or decreases in energy usage.
- Determination of the ideal PV system installation location based on customers’ preferences and logistical considerations (shading issues, roof orientation, etc.)
- A complete analysis of your solar exposure from multiple points of the proposed solar system location using state-of-the-art digital imaging equipment and software.
- Identification of significant shading objects with time of day and month they will impact a potential system.
The initial site evaluation can usually be conducted within a few days of contacting Horizon Solar, LLC, depending on weather and customer availability. In addition to weekdays, for your convenience appointments are available evenings and weekends as well.
Numerous variables must be considered when designing a PV system in order for you to get solar. Information obtained in the Site Evaluation will be used to produce a detailed site analysis and system proposal which will include the following:
- Energy Consumption Profile: evaluates typical energy use and associated costs
- Recommended PV System: details system size, major components, and estimates the electrical production.
- PV System Costs: details equipment and installation costs, less all applicable Federal and NY State tax credits.
- System Financing: details savings and payments associated with financing the system including no money out of pocket financing.
- Financial Analysis: provides a system financial analysis which details direct savings, system payback, positive cash flow, annual rate of return, and home value increase.
- Environmental Benefits: describes the positive benefits of owning a PV system attributed to reduced emissions (e.g. greenhouse gases).
The comprehensive system design will be provided within a few days following the site survey.
Contracts and Permits
Prior to installation, to get solar it is important to secure all necessary construction permits and obtain pre-approval from PSEG. All paperwork will be drafted and submitted by Horizon Solar, LLC. The following are the steps in the process:
- A contract between Horizon Solar, LLC and the customer will be drafted. It will detail system costs, payment schedule, and system warranties.
- Horizon Solar, LLC will submit the PSEG application paperwork which will include the necessary paperwork for the net-metering contract with PSEG.
- We will provide the customer with information regarding the Federal and State tax credit programs. We advise that you contact a tax professional to verify your eligibility with the tax credit programs (e.g. provide your tax preparer a copy of our proposal).
- Horizon Solar, LLC will obtain information on applicable local building codes, and acquire all necessary building permits for the PV system. An additional site visit may be conducted with a licensed engineer or architect to ensure the PV system can safely be installed to building codes. Horizon Solar LLC is also responsible for closing out the building permit and obtaining the CO.
Due to the wait time associated with building permits this step takes approximately 6 weeks.
Once approval from PSEG and the building permit has been obtained, installation may commence. The following summarizes the final steps allowing you to get solar:
- PV system equipment will be ordered, and delivered to a local warehouse. Installation by a professional and courteous team will occur within 2 weeks of equipment availability.
- All necessary inspections (electrical and structural) will be performed as per building and fire codes.
- Horizon Solar, LLC will conduct a free PV system check-up after the first year to ensure the system is running as efficiently as possible. Our 10 year warranty will cover all issues, and the equipment is typically warrantied by the manufacturer well beyond that to 25 years!!
Procuring the equipment and installing the PV system takes approximately 2 weeks, depending on equipment availability. The inspections associated with getting an electrical inspection certificate and closing out the building permit can take up to 2 months to complete.